Sunday 8 May 2011

Why "Inspiring Creativity"?

I struggled to think of a name for this blog. The name of my first blog, which I managed to effectively vanish, I had really liked but too many similar versions are about now. I wanted a title that spoke from my heart. The name was important to me. It needed to say in just a few words all that I hoped to share.

As I explain in the brief profile on this page I've been through a fair bit in my life. Sometimes it's been exhilarating; absolutely sky-high unabashed joyfulness. And there are the other moments, the times when hell itself would have been preferable. I've experienced loneliness and terror, sorrow and desperation. I've been in depression so deep there wasn't even room to be afraid.

What has always helped, has always grounded me on the good days and dragged me back eventually on the bad days has been Creativity. That's spelt with a capital 'C' deliberately. It deserves the credit. Creativity. I make something, I do something, I write something, I draw something. Sometimes I simply form things from rolled up pieces of paper torn from scraps in my handbag.

I Have to.
I have to create something, anything.
Creating something inspires me to regain myself. Being creative and doing creative things gets me out of my brain and into a state of 'flow'. It relaxes my mind and allows a sense of calmness I find nowhere else. Some days it's the only thing that lets me close my eyes and escape the thoughts. The freedom from all other thought but the focus on the creative process; the plan, the problem solving, the search for balance in the final piece. This quieting of all distractions is a peace that I relish.

Creativity is my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment