Friday 13 May 2011

Fibre and heat - A new Light

I discovered the amazing fibre art work of Kim Tittichai. Kim works with fibres, textiles, dyes, and most importantly - heat. Here's a link to the gallery on her website http://www.kimthittichai.com/html/gallery.html

I bought myself an embossing heat gun from a craft show and started playing. I experimented with lots of different fabrics to work how they responded when heated. The biggest things I noted were the speed with which they reacted and the amount of shrinkage that occured. I played with lots of different ideas.

One of my most successful pieces so far has been this lamp. I purchased an old lamp from a second hand store and most of my fabrics were off cuts from a local market, or left over old curtains. I layered these around the frame and then heated them with the gun until I was happy with the result. Then on with the next couple of layers of fabric and more heat. I continued until I was happy with the final look.


The lamp stands about 60cm tall

Here is a close up view of the top of the lamp. I love the way the colours change in the fibres when they are heated and the way different layers are exposed in the processing.

No comments:

Post a Comment