Wednesday 11 May 2011

Free-machine Embroidered Felting

I LOVE fibres. I love the bright, jewel colours; the soft, silky textures. I love the nubbly bits and the smooth. I love to wear handmade, one-of-a-kind pieces...but I hate to knit. It takes soooooo long to make anything!

Many years ago I was introduced to water solubles for machine embrodery work. I loved the idea but never really went very far with it. Then about 5 or 6 years ago I started playing around with using the water soluble fabric to contain fibres until I could get them to hold together with stitches. Through experimentation (and failure!) I eventually made my first scarf.

I get to use all those gorgeous fibres that I love, all mixed in together. I don't have to knit a stitch and I can make a new scarf in a couple of hours. I get to wear a totally one-of-a kind-piece that I have made. Win!

And the best part about it is just how easy it is to do! I've taught people of all ages and all abilities to make scarves and belts in this way. I'll add instructions soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment