Wednesday 9 March 2011

Responding to Fear

Somethimes things happen that we have no control over; your car bursts a tyre at speed, a parent is diagnosed with inoperable cancer or the city in which your friends live is shattered by an earthquake. At 3am (Italian time) on the 22 February 2011 I was wakened by a text from my son. Christchurch, New Zealand, the place of his birth, had been devasted by a 6.3 magnitude earthquake an hour earlier at 12.51pm (NZ time). The closeness we celebrate through internet connections shattered. Our distance from home became impossible to cross. Our worst thoughts could become a reality. As the day dawned in Italy we were able to begin to get in touch with close friends in the city and more and more news filtered out about the massive devastation of one of our favourite places.

I needed to do something, anything.

To cope with the turmoil of emotion I started to do something creative. I turned to my fabric and my love of celtic design. I chose a design that appealed and spent hours adapting it to work in fabric. The repetitive nature of the applique stitches was soothing and allowed my mind to rest. In a celtic knot there is no beginning or end, and every intersection alternates weaves. Under, over, up and down, always and endlessly. This is life, the circle of life of the planet.

Celtic design in Canterbury colours

No comments:

Post a Comment